Breeders and Rescues
All listed breeders and rescues are members of the Midlands Rat Club and have been included at their own request. Since October 2014 anyone wishing to be added to this list is also required to have either the recommendation of an MRC member already on the list who has personal experience of the applicant's rattery, or to have a home visit by a committee approved person. Inclusion on this list does not constitute a recommendation by the Midlands Rat Club. You must use your own judgement to select a breeder.
Request printable list by email
| Aquarius Stud
||Breeding British blue, British blue agouti, agouti and black (all top eared).
| Black Lupin Stud
|Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham
||Breeding for black & Russian blue in dumbo and occasionally in rex.
||Web: Black Lupin Rats
| Gemstone Stud
||Russian Topaz and Russian Blue Agouti in rex. Possibility of dumbo.
Web: Gemstone Rattery
| Isamu Rats
|Near Preston, Lancs
||Agouti and black with chance of mink and Essex in top eared and dumbo.
Web: Isamu Rats
| Lovecraft Stud
||Agouti, black, cinnamon, mink, Essex. Top ear and dumbo.
Web: Lovecraft Rats
| Rattie Asylum Rattery
AJ Black-Savage & Jon Savage
||Currently breeding for health and temperament over variety, with both rex and smooth coat, dumbo and top ear.
Web: Rattie Asylum on Facebook
||Topaz, buff and Russian blue in marked, Essex as well as selfs, with a mix of rex and smooth, tops and dumbo.
Web: Rattie Angels Rattery
| Salem Star Rattery
||Breeding for Health and temperament in mainly Russian blue.
Web: Salem Star Rattery on Facebook
| Scramble's Nook Rattery
Claire Louise Boddy
||Breeding mainly Russian varieties.
Web: Scramble's Nook Rattery
| The Attic Zoo Rattery
||Breeding for health and temperament in several different varieties mainly Russian Blue and Russian Dove.
Facebook: The Attic Zoo
Website: The Attic Zoo
| Velvet Whiskers Rattery
|Tipton, West Midlands
||Breeding for health and temperament in several varieties.
Web: Velvet Whiskers Rattery
Beginning in 2015, we ask that members wishing to be listed agree to abide by the following terms. Because this is a new initiative, some breeders listed have not yet been asked to agree to this. Those members who have agreed are marked with a . Those who have agreed and also qualified for our MRC Quality Breeder Award are marked with
- Be a fully paid up member of the MRC.
- Be a no cull rattery.
- Be breeding at least your second generation of rats.
- Have either the recommendation of an MRC member already on the breeders list who has agreed to these terms and has personal experience of your rescue or rattery, or to have a home visit by a committee approved person.
- Provide appropriately sized cages with room for rats to climb and space for natural behaviour.
- Provide appropriate substrate and diet.
- Show good husbandry and to be keeping rats in safe and hygienic conditions.
- Allow home visits by prospective owners.
- Keep careful health records and maintain and produce accurate genealogical charts (family trees) for prospective owners.
- Aim to breed strong, healthy, resilient rats from parents with a proven history.
- Provide adequate vet care when necessary.
Members under the age of 16 will need the written consent of a parent/guardian before being added to the list.
Please email the following details to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rescue/Rattery/Stud name and location
- The name and contact details of the person who has agreed to recommend you
- Varieties (if applicable)
- Contact details to be displayed (email / website)
- Further contact details to be included in printed version (telephone?)